Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

I'm loving it. (No, not McDonalds)

What am I loving, you ask? I'm loving the fact that you can throw tofu in almost any recipe that calls for sautéed chicken and it'll be delicious! (However, as a side note, you can technically not 'be loving' anything. 'To Love' is a stative verb and therefore cannot be used in progressive tenses. Either you're in love, or you aren't. So McDonalds is not only making us fat, they're teaching us bad grammar as well. F you again, McDonalds.)

But anyway, I made a quick and easy recipe I used to make all the time with chicken tonight, but instead I threw in some soy goodness, aka tofu. It was delish.

Here's the recipe:

1 package extra firm (yesss please) tofu
1/2 jar orange marmalade
1/2 jar hot (because I do like it hot. If you're a wet blanket, go for mild.) salsa
2 tblsp olive oil
3 cloves fresh garlic
crushed red pepper flakes
6 servings brown rice

So first I always start the rice since it usually takes about 20 minutes to cook. Follow the directions on the back of your box. You can also use white rice if brown rice doesn't float your boat. But since you're reading a vegan blog I'm assuming you actually care about your body, so use brown.

After getting the rice started, drain and cube the tofu. After that, heat your oil in a pan and add in the fresh garlic and cubed tofu. Sauté them together for two or three minutes then add the marmalade, salsa and crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Let it all simmer together for about 8-10 minutes. Serve over rice.

And there is your quick and easy version of Sweet and Spicy Tofu. Super yum.

Here's a little photojournalism to help you on your way.

Sautéing the tofu with the oil and garlic.



Adding in the salsa and marmalade.



Finished product.

Now I'm obviously not a food photgrapher so don't let my photos scare you off. I promise it's super delish.

For our second course tonight, we had a chicken.



It was scrumptious if I say so myself.

And for dessert I made some banana whip! Sooo good! Just freeze some bananas, cut them into pieces and blend them in a food processor. They come out having an ice cream-y consistency. You can then put whatever toppings you desire on top. I did granola tonight. I think it would be absolutely dreamy with some carob chips!

Banana whip is perfect for those of you like me who refuse to eat bananas once they get spots on them. I only like my bananas under ripe and greeeeeen. What can I say, I'm a banana racist.

1 comment: